One of the main concerns in divorce is issues concerning children. Custody, child support, visitation, and more are important aspects of a divorce if you and your spouse have children together. A Connecticut divorce will look slightly different if the couple has children together as opposed to if they do not. On this page, I will discuss the Connecticut divorce process and how it differs if you do or do not have children.

Starting Your Divorce

Whether you do or do not have children, you start a divorce process in the same way – by filing a Summons Family Action as well as a Divorce Complaint/Cross Complaint Form. You also have to attach the Notice of Automatic Court Orders to your divorce complaint. If you are interested in getting temporary orders during the divorce case, you need to fill out the Motion for Orders Before Judgement (Pendente Lite) in Family Cases.

If you do not have children, there are the only forms that you need to fill out in order to begin the divorce process. If you do have children, you will also have to attach an Affidavit Concerning Children to your divorce complaint.

After you fill out all of the necessary paperwork, a Clerk at the Superior Court Clerk’s Office will have to sign the summons. Your spouse will have to receive copies of the paperwork and the original paperwork has to go back to the Clerk’s Office.

Your Divorce

After these initial steps are completed, your divorce will be underway. The next form to fill out is the Case Management Agreement/Order. This should be sent to the Family Clerk’s Office.

If you have kids under 18 years old, you and your spouse will have to participate in a parenting education program. You must pay for your classes unless the court waives the fee. To request that the court waives the fee, fill out the Application for Waiver of Fees/Payment of Costs/Appointment of Counsel – Family. You also have to fill out the Parenting Education Program – List of Approved Programs and the Parenting Education Program Order, Certificate, and Results forms in order to participate.

Whether you do or do not have children, you will need to fill out several forms related to your finances. They include the Financial Affidavit – Long, Financial Affidavit – Short, and the dissolution agreement. If you have kids, you also have to fill out the Child Support Guideline Worksheet and the Advisement of Rights form.

Help With a Divorce

Facing a Connecticut divorce can be overwhelming whether you have children or not. This is some basic information regarding the paperwork related to a divorce, but our office can help you through this and give you more information. We will ensure that all of your paperwork is filled out correctly and that your divorce goes as smoothly as possible. Contact us for more information.